Each student will write a maximum 500 word essay related to one of the topics discussed below for the 2019 Cesar Chavez Essay Contest. Each essay must include at least FOUR high quality sources (at least two in Spanish) with proper parenthetical citation and works cited entries. Official directions include the following statement, “All eligible entries received by the dates specified will be judged equally on the following criteria: clarity of thought, creativity, practicality, accuracy of content, potential to improve the lives of children and potential to draw attention to policies that help young people. The decisions of the judges will be final and binding on all participants.” Complete guidelines are available here.
(1) Why are farm workers important in Georgia?
(2) Cesar Chavez & Rev. Martin L. King, Jr. both believed in peaceful nonviolent protests. Why was this ideology important to the civil rights movement?
(3) How has Cesar Chavez influenced your life and what impact will his work have on your future?
(4) Why should we have a national holiday honoring Cesar Chavez?
(5) How did Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta both ensure that the United Farm Workers union was a success story?