The Story of Stuff
Good researchers use a variety of types of resources. Many begin with books to frame the context of the project, then articles from databases for more specific and/or current information. Use academic websites to supplement what you have already found elsewhere. Finally, cite your sources as you gather them and take good notes as you read in order to avoid plagiarism.
1. You are now going to pick one item from your ‘stuff’ that is valuable to you.
2. You will research the stages in the life of your ‘stuff’ (production, distribution, consumption, and disposal).
3. You are going to create the ‘story’ of that item in a poster. Use text and visuals.
4. On the back of your poster, you will type and paste a short analysis of your ‘stuff’ answering this question: “On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most) rate your stuff’s impact on the environment and explain your rating. Consider all stages involved in the life of your stuff (production, distribution, consumption, and disposal).” Include a list of your urls as well.
Note: Depending on your stuff, you might find a lot of information on the product or company’s website.
1. What materials were used to make your stuff? Where do these materials come from?
2. Where was your stuff made?
1. How did it get from the place it was made to your house?
2. List as many resources that were used in the production and distribution of your stuff.
1. When did you get your stuff?
2. How often do you use your stuff?
3. When you use your stuff, what are the effects on the environment around you?
1. What will happen to your stuff (and all of its parts) after you dispose of it? What will be the impact of that disposal?
1. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most) rate your stuff’s impact on the environment and explain your rating. Consider all stages involved in the life of your stuff (production, distribution, consumption, and disposal).
Monday to Thursday
7:30 am - 3:45 pm
7:30 am - 2:45 pm
Closed weekends and school holidays
Hours subject to change in accordance with the school calendar